Friday, June 17, 2011

One Child at a Time

Sometimes when I read about orphans or look at pictures of children living in abject poverty, I get overwhelmed with the magnitude of the need. Over 147 million orphans is a big need.

But, God is bigger.

I know that I will not be able to save them all or help them all. But, I can help one or two, or a hundred. I can do the tasks that God gives me and help others along the way.

I have been reading a blog called "A Place Called Simplicity". Linny is the author and she and her husband have ten children, some of whom were adopted. They have started a ministry called The International Voice of the Orphan. They partner with orphanages and ministries in Uganda and take mission trips to help out. I met Linny's daughter, Emma, in the Dallas airport last week. She was on her way to Africa.

Linny has been working for sometime to come up with a way to feed and clothe people in need. A website will launch soon that will do just that. The website will sell handcrafted items (think Etsy) and all of the proceeds will go for food and clothes for children in need. They are asking people to send things that they can sell through the website. I'm not very crafty, but I will be thinking hard about what I can do and what we can do as a family to help out.

What about you? Go here for more information. http://aplacecalledsimplicity.blogspot.com/2011/06/orphan-wares-artists-shoppers-both-with.html

No comments: