Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Show Forth

Today is the Epiphany, otherwise known as Twelfth Night, or Day of the Kings. It marks the end of the Christmas season and the traditional 12 days of Christmas. (You know, "On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...") Here in South Louisiana, it also marks the beginning of the Mardi Gras season.



Traditionally, Epiphany is celebrated as the time when the Magi, or Kings, arrived in Bethlehem to see the baby Jesus. One of the definitions I found was "a showing forth"~in this case a showing forth of Jesus to the Gentiles. When I read this, I was struck by the wording of "a showing forth of Jesus". It caused me to think: Do I show forth Jesus? If I do, how often do I show Him forth? Hourly? Daily? Monthly? I'm sorry to say that my musings left a lot to be desired.


This year we decided to leave our Christmas tree up until after Epiphany. And we will celebrate tonight with a King Cake. But, most importantly, we will talk about showing forth Jesus and how we can do that better as individuals and as a family.

No comments: