Thursday, July 31, 2008

Weekend project



Last weekend, I decided it was time to rip the carpet out of this closet. It was old and stained and it smelled. The plan was to pull the carpet up and replace it with cheap, easy-to-clean linoleum. I even found the peel and stick squares designed to make my life easier. Those plans changed when I pulled up the carpet and pad and found this:


Not the kid, the hardwood floor. (The kid was my helper for this project and he did some good work. ) We suspected there was hardwood under the carpet, but weren't sure about that or what condition it would be in if we did find it. Turns out, it's not too bad. There are paint splotches all over it, but other than that it looks pretty good. I'm not worried about the paint because, hey, it's a closet!

We scraped some of the paint off of the floor, swept and vacuummed, then mopped twice. Then we put everything back in and now it looks like a closet again. Only cleaner and not SO smelly. (There are boy shoes in here, after all!)


While I was working on the closet, I started thinking about the old stuff in my heart that needs to be ripped out. I know there are some things that are old and smelly and stained that need to come out. And when I let God come in to my closets and take out the old and ugly, He will find something better underneath. It may need to be cleaned up a little, but when He is done, it will be something unexpected and beautiful.

He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men: yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end. Ecclesiastes 3:11

1 comment:

gadaisy said...

Awesome find!!!! The beauty of an older home....you will always find treasures!!! Hey...by the way... Lee did an awesome job with the bathroom painting while we were in NOLA and now he is teaching me how to tile...I had concrete up to my elbows but it is looking good....I need to get some photos!!! Love you!!!